Monday, January 21, 2013

Day 22-Multitasking Disaster





In this blog I am looking at the character of multitasking. I often find myself trying to accomplish many tasks throughout my day and what I have noticed is that my focus is split. That instead of focusing on one task at the time finishing and moving on to the next one, I start one task and in the middle move on to another, then another, then get back to the first one and at the end I have not completed any tasks or very few to reflect my full capacity of completing tasks. It is time to take control of how I move myself through tasks.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing "desire to finish many tasks throughout the day" be my driven factor to start tasks, instead of realizing that I can only do so much in one day and practically selecting tasks to be completed based on priority and necessity.


I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to start many tasks and interrupt myself in the middle to move on to another task, not realizing that within the desire to finish many tasks there is a sense of laziness (for example I will be doing laundry which I need to pick up from the cat's room-when I go to get the laundry I decide that since I am already down here I should clean the cat's litter, change their water because going up the stairs and coming back down would be too much work.)

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to at the end of the day when I was not able to complete everything that I set goal for, to feel irritated and blame myself for not being efficient, instead of stopping and investigating the point and self correcting.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to feel overwhelmed by wanting to complete many tasks, and when I am unable to do so because of multitasking I become discouraged to start tasks in general-leading to in fact being lazy.

As the point of laziness develops through my discouragement which I had allowed to form by my behavior in approaching tasks, then I find myself ignoring to do tasks by saying I will complete them later.  As I align myself to directing the matter of tasks, when a task pops up that I am able to do, but say "I can do it later..." I stop, I breathe and direct myself to accomplish the task with all of my attention on it.

I commit myself to before starting any tasks to consider the practicality within my participation in the selected tasks, to organize myself and in fact select tasks based on priority and necessity then proceed with the selected tasks one by one with all my attention on one task at the time.

When the urge/desire arises within me to multitask as in the example with the laundry I presented, I stop, I breathe and redirect myself back to the task I have chosen to perform until it has been completed. If there is such a task that needs to be spilt (as in part of it needs to be done now-the other later) I will direct myself accordingly with making sure that part one is fully completed before moving on to another task and then resuming back to the second part of the first task.






No comments:

Post a Comment