Monday, October 31, 2016

Day 174- Talking To My Son About Our Coming Up Arrival

In this blog I would like to share some cool aspects I have applied with my son (4 year old) when it comes to the expected baby.

Before this future baby was conceived I spoke to my son about him becoming a brother. I tested the "waters" to see how he felt about being a brother- and I understand he does not actually comprehend what that entails but it was a way of having an open communication with my son and including him in this decision by bringing an awareness to him that there is going to be another baby/child in our family.
Once the baby was conceived, I told my son that there will be a baby coming to our family. I gave a short explanation as to where the baby is and it was going to be growing inside of my "tummy". I also have been taking him to my doctor's appointments so that he can hear the heart beat, and see the baby on the ultrasound which he found fascinating (within that giving the opportunity for an educational moment). I have also been very straight forward with him regarding the anatomy/biology aspect of it (of course in a manner for his age).
A side note: At one of my previous jobs, I worked with a woman who was Christian religious and when her 5 year old son had asked her: "Where do babies come from?"- she had told him that "When mommy and daddy love each other, Jesus brings them a baby". Of course that is her choice to how she wanted to approach this matter- but to me it sounded completely ridiculous at which moment I pledged to myself that I would not be lying to my children and I would be as accurate as possible according to their age.
I went ahead and I showed my son his birth video. I thought what better moment to do this so that he has an idea about where babies come out from than to see himself coming out...LoL (I know gross, but that is the reality and it can be a great educational moment- while he is still young as I don't see myself showing this to my teenage son...) So when my son said: You are going to poop the baby out...LoL (logic cause I said it was in my tummy and the way he saw himself being born...) My response was: "No, I will push it out of my vagina, when the baby has grown enough and there is no more room in me." He laughed because he found it funny.
I have also shown him youtube videos about the process of fetus/baby development and we have been looking at the weekly baby development on an app.
So far it has been a cool experience and an opportunity for educational moments for me to see how to direct this process and for him to be able to learn about the human body- ultimately building an awareness for him about the process of birth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment