Saturday, December 31, 2016

Day 179- Value is Subjective

In a recent conversation the word "value" came up and it was discussed within the perspective of how much money people spend for things and how much someone is willing to pay for something. So then I realized that value is subjective because people would give money towards that which they value, and say that something can be too expensive towards something they do not give much value to. So how do we decide what we give value to? That question can go in many directions but from the mind's perspective I would say it is something we program ourselves through time.  And then from another perspective we have to look at the value given to a "product" vs quality of the "product".

This is something I have noticed about my "value" programming- Let's say I go to Victoria Secret. I already know what their prices for clothes range for. So if there is a "sale" for pants that are $24 and the "original" price was $54, I would most likely be OK with buying the pants for that price. But if I go to Discovery, the price I would expect for the similar pants would be lower just because the general prices at that store are cheaper, thus I would not buy the pants for $24. Then looking at what is considered quality- I would expect the Victoria Secret store to have better quality of the clothes it sells, so my value here would be based on "better quality".

Thus value is subjective to that which we assign it to but it is also based on our programming which can be so many different circumstances and experiences within a capitalistic society.

How would you redefine the word "value" and what you give it to?

No comments:

Post a Comment